Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Who do You Like to Trade With?

What Kind of Trader are You?

Trade discussions are always fun. After all, we all fantasize about improving our team. However, I have noticed over the years that there are several types of negotiators. Here are some I thought I would mention.

1. The Fisherman: The Fisherman contacts you with an inquiry – is your ace pitcher or stud player available. I have this can of worms which includes this big red one. I will swap you my can of worms for your pitcher or player. An honest Fisherman knows he will have to throw is offer out many times before he might snag a winner, but he is willing to make the effort with high hopes. His strategy is kind of like the person on the street corner who is attempting to sell a wooden #2 pencil for $100,000. Sure, most people will pass him by. But all he has to do is sell one and he will cover his expenses and garner a nice profit, which he will enjoy for years. Of course the not so honest Fisherman might believe that his can of worms is worth more than his #2 wooden pencil.

2. The Fox: The Fox offers to send you his good pitcher or player for your pitcher or player of equal or lesser value. The unsuspecting manager sees value in the deal and starts contemplating how the potential acquisition will benefit his team and considers making the deal. Usually the Fox is aware of some tiny bit of information not known by the hen; i.e. the pitcher he is offering just threw his arm out and is scheduled for Tommy John surgery or the player he is offering had gone into the wall to make a catch and disappeared into the abyss.

3. The Shell Mover of the Shell Game: The Shell Mover hides his bean under a shell and lets you pick it correctly, suggesting how smart you are. Then, before you can walk away with a consummated deal he ups the anti; suggesting that his bean is worth a package of players or picks that he covets. Usually, after the deal is cut you walk away from the table and realize he picked your pocket.

4. The Bait and Switch Guy: The Baiter starts out offering you a set of silverware to go with your fine china and then switches his offer to some plasticware he has picked up at several fast food stops on his way to the bank. This guy is a marathoner. He can make the discussions last several hours and moves in for his choice of players/pitchers as the unsuspecting mark tires out. If he is really good at his craft – he is known as a Master Baiter. Hopefully, he washed the plasticware before you acquire it.

5. The Cutter: The Cutter is the guy who makes an offer for a Pitcher/player and then bad mouths the pitcher/player who he is seeking by pointing out the pitcher’s/player’s flaws. I always find this guy interesting, especially if he starts his quest with a comment like: “I like Babe Ruth even though he hits into a lot of double-plays,” or “he goes down in the clutch,” or “he can’t hit LHP,” or “he can’t field a groundball handed to him.” He wants you to feel like he is doing you a favor by taking your player off your roster.

I have been had by all these guys over the years. I have learned my lessons and now I try to review my resources when a deal is offered. I do not always stick to that procedure, but I try. My dad told me a fair deal is a good deal, and if you are willing to make the deal, you should be willing to take either side of the deal.

In our latest round of deals between Blocks 2 and 3, I felt a little left out. I saw some players move that I would love to have on my roster. I turned down some deals because I did not like the offer. I made some offers that were turned down. I hated helping the Fighting Sioux by sending them Ben Sheets, my favorite pitcher on my roster. I have moved my 3 first drafted pitchers – Oswalt got me Cabrera, Garland was a cut, and Sheets got me 2 not so early picks and Braden Looper. Looper could improve on Sheet’s numbers for the Griz, he sure can’t be any worse.

Oh, by the way, the type of trader I do not like dealing with is the Cutter. Especially one, who gives up on the deal and starts looking for reasons to blast my player to show me how stupid I was for not trading him.

What kind of Trader are you? What kind of Trader do you like to deal with or not deal with?

3 comments:

DFW said...

True greatness! Jack you just 'nailed' the profile of a trader. ROTFLMAO

LCC said...

4 of my 6 trades this year have been of the exceedingly boring variety: "Would you take x for y?" "Yes, report it to the league."

The other 2 deals had some minor back-and-forth, but I don't think there were any spitballs by either side.

Can't say nobody attempted the Cutter game. But I typically have a valid response for that approach: "You're right, my player sucks." That way the Cutter still gets to feel good about himself, and I either get to keep a good player or trade him to someone else instead. I can't think of any downside to this strategy.

jawga said...

Great article & I've probably been guilty of several as a trader & tradee.

However, you missed "The Homer" who will go to great lengths to p/u a home-town player. Like when GRK gave up J-Roll & a #2 for the Bravos CF McLouth just before the Philly GG SS decided to go .318 .388 .551 in July.