Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Griz Caught in Own Draft Bear Trap

The Grizzlies went into the 2009 draft anticipating some nice possibilities. With the 4th overall pick we weighed what we considered the top four available players on the Bear’s Draft Board: Evan Longoria, Jay Bruce, Geovany Soto, and Justin Upton. As I prepared for the draft, I played out many scenarios.

What Actually Happened:

1st Pick - I was sure Mr. Pak would take Longoria. Sure Garrett Atkins manned the Knight’s hot corner, but Longoria would be an upgrade from good to great. Mr. Pak had taken Grady Sizemore with his last first overall pick, which has turned into a great pick and I was sure Longoria would be the same. I was stunned that Mr. Pak took Jon Lester, a LHSP. Not because he wasn’t a good pick (and one I was considering if I went with pitching first), but because I valued Longoria that much. Taking Lester may be another great move, but it upset my draft and now and guaranteed me that at least two of my top 4 picks would be available at my turn.

2nd Pick – Mr. Anderson entered the draft site and Malachi (messenger/angel) announced Soto to handle his future catching needs. The choice should align the numbers in Troy’s matrix. Soto will help the Haymakers dodge the Smiths and last place – 1st overall draft pick in the future. The pick also Switch(ed) Haymaker’s fans Morpheus (Greek God of Dreams) from bad to good. Troy’s pick is a very positive rebuilding move.

3rd Pick – The league’s newest member – Kevin traded into this pick by giving up a very offensive force. He began his sophomore season picking Longoria. How could he resist. How many times do I need to express my opinion that Longoria was the best player available. Kevin in turned flipped a player or two and picked up Upton. Two huge rebuilding blocks for a post season entry last year. Kevin is not shy when it comes to trading, I know. He has changed the face of his team more than once. His moves or depth defying. He is happy as a pig in $h!T.

4th Pick – Bruce or Upton – who do I take? Red laughs at my right handed batters. Ok, I will take Bruce. That was who I figured I would take all last summer. Perfect – good LHB with a future, plays OF, I need help there, I will announce it. No – I better think on it. Wouldn’t it be neat to put the brothers Upton together. Ok – I also considered that possibility last summer. Either will improve my offense for the future, and should help me now. At least that is what I think.
Wait a minute – I need pitching. I cut down to 4 pitchers and only drafted one RP in the supplemental draft. Pitching is my weakness – no doubt about it. Cliff Lee – stud LHSP this year, could put me over the top. He could possibly win 20 games with my lineup. Negative fact - Lee is older than I wanted to add to my roster with a first pick – I also like Garza, Kuroda is solid and old; several good pitchers available. If I take Bruce or Upton, I am sure I can pick up one solid SP in the next round. Before and during the draft I considered trading with Lehigh Valley to pick up one or more early picks. What to do. Mosco wants my pick to make sure he gets Bruce. Possible trade there. Hmmmmmmmmmm.
Ok – team needs dictate SP, I need at least 2 solid performers to help my team the most. I also need RP/closer, can’t wait to long. Trapped by my own roster. OK – Griz take Garza.

5th pick New Jersey and John Moscariello are giddy to get Bruce – enough said.

5 comments:

Iron Pig Press said...

Great analysis and article! You are right, I was happy to get both Longoria and Upton. I had my eye set on Bruce and Garza with the pick if Longoria and Soto went 1,2. As it turned out, I was happy not to have to take Soto because I really don't need him and it would have only been trade bait.

VFS said...

As a divisional rival who suffered a complete game defeat to Matt Garza I think you should've taken J Bruce!

keithninety said...

The Knights released 4 starters over the winter - megabusts Barry Zito (and 23) and Dontrelle Willis along with El Duque Hernandez and Doug Davis, who a couple of good years in NY but wore out his welcome. That left the club with only one 200-IP starter in Matt Cain. While it would have been nice to be able to draft Longoria, the team already had a very serviceable 3B in Garrett Atkins and drafting another 3B was a luxury the Knights could not afford. Starting pitching was a far more pressing need. Fortunately, there was a lot of quality starting pitching in the draft this year and the Knights managed to pick up two other young starters in Gavin Floyd and Joe Saunders in addition to Lester.

Atkins had a nice season in '08 (21 HR, 99 RBI, .286 BA, 175 hits, 32 doubles) and the Knights also managed to snag Jorge Cantu (.277, 29 HR, 95 RBI) in the 8th round, so hopefully 3B will be well-served this year.

jawga said...

The trade with LCC for Justin Upton will do more long-term damage to the Roadkill than painfully watching Longoria drop to the Iron Pigs. Quite a coup to get them both.

Iron Pig Press said...

With Longoria and Upton, hopefully the IronPig lineup is set for the foreseeable future. We believe that we have position player talent at each spot on the diamond with a bit of potential depth as well. At this point, starting pitching is a bit of a mess (about the equivalent of saying that the federal government finances are a bit of a mess). Seeing as pitching is difficult to come by in NASBL, that does not bode well for the future. Time will tell.