Thursday, March 28, 2013

GCG 1st Post in 2+ Years

It is times like this that I think back to my youth.  I remember some furry friends from Frostbite Falls, Minnesota, moose and squirrel and how they liked to hook me into coming back to watch the next entertaining episode.  Some of you may not know who I am talking about.  Not surprising.  I am talking more than 1/2 century ago.  I will turn 63 in November when I hope to celebrate GCG's first NASBL Championship.  I came close once before, but was able to pull defeat out of the hands of victory due to my ineptitude as a dice (field) manager. 
TV was just beginning to appear in homes in the 1950s and I was lucky enough to choose from 3 channels of television shows.  At least when dad wasn't watching Robin Hood and mom wasn't watching Lawrence Welk and the Ed Sullivan Show.  I remember sitting around the breakfast table, refusing to eat anything (I wish I had made that more of a lifetime decision) and we occasionally watched a new show - the Today Show which added a chimpanzee to its staff to attract viewers.  I was a shy kid, in a neighborhood where the other kids were at least 2 or 3 years older than I was.  Needless to say, my excitement was playing with myself on our swing set.
Anyway, Rocky and Bullwinkel were beginning to entertain me as I reached double digits.  Their hook was a choice of titles for the upcoming episode.  I was thinking of that on the train today as I was thinking of Jim Leyland and Mario Mendoza (do you remember him?)  Mendoza is famous for not hitting his weight which was probably under 200# and his name has gone down in infamy  as the "Mendoza Line" is used when talking about low MLB batting averages.
Well, you ask - why did I include Jim Leland in this article?  We all know he is the not so young Detroit Tiger Manager and he has an infield that includes GCG's Miguel Cabrera, (and not GCG's) - Prince Fielder, Jhonny Peralta, and Omar Infante (who actually owns a glove).  I was thinking Leland is happy that his infield hits its weight, which brings a thought to mind, are there any heavy 2B who can replace Infante?
So my choice of headlines to entice you to read my thoughtless and pathetic attempts to provide literary culture to this league are:      

Will Miggy Cabrera and Company continue to hit their weight?
or
Should Jack Howard reconsider his future as a Best Selling Author?

No comments: