Tuesday, September 28, 2010

"There is no joy in Troy - the mighty Brett Myers was overused"

Troy, N.Y.: Only 150 miles away from the fabled location where Casey struck out to rip out the hearts of fans in Mudville, Haymakers GM Ken Anderson has destroyed the hopes of all fans in Troy by overusing Brett Myers in the second block.
"How could this happen?!?" griped a fan holding a sign outside the stadium in an impromtu protest, "Myers was the worst pitcher in the league!!" It's possible. Brett posted an 8.16 ERA this season, second worst out of any pitcher in the league. Lance Cormier holds the dubious honor with a 13.50 ERA; but he only pitched 2.2 innings. Myers somehow threw 71.2 innings in 2010 while giving up 100 hits, 29 walks and 23 homeruns.

"He was our mop-up guy/spot starter for the first half of the year, and his usage must have gotten away from us," the GM said, "We would just throw him out there when it didn't matter; and next thing you know he was over his total by the middle of the year."

Myers was not the only player overused on the Haymakers roster, but the one player that made the difference. "Hey, I'm not happy with my performance this season," said Myers in an interview yesterday, "But I'm not the one who kept throwing me out there. Management knew I was hurting all season and didn't shut me down till June. Either way, I guarantee that I will rebound nicely next season."

No comments: