Saturday, February 16, 2008

Wrong Guy Smiling in Illinois


All eyes were on Chow Chows GM Brad Sherlag as he nervously eyed the draftlist. He handed his selection in and the announcement came, Dmitri Young. The crowd sat their in stunned silence. Delmon had just gone two picks earlier and no one was expecting his big brother to get picked this early. Sure his numbers are solid offensively, but his glove has long been missing. The most puzzling part was that Illinois was apparently building for the future, not looking to make an immediate playoff run. When asked about it, shortly after the pick, a wide eyed Brad Sherlag realized he made a mistake "Its my fault, I saw D Young on the list and in my excitement I just pulled the trigger. I never heard the prior pick as I was working the phones. that darn Stan Pietruska was calling to try and move up a few slots and yapping about him sending me 6 picks and getting back all kinds of 5ths and 7ths and 9ths. Well anyway, its on me. I dropped the ball."
Even more surprised was Dmitri Young, who was in a back draft room (some said smoking a joint) with his brother celebrating Delmon's good fortune. As Dmitri, with a big smile, said "I couldn't be happier, man, do you know what the salary slot be like for that pick? Its my time to get paid." Unfortunately for Chow Chows fans, the wrong guy was smiling.

1 comment:

Haymakers said...

I love the Dimitri photo...great guy, horrible fielder.