Tuesday, February 12, 2008

My 2 cents....Let the Fun Begin!

THE GOOD- This weekend pitchers and catchers report to Major League Spring Training Camps across the country. The same old sounds and smells will come back after being dormant in the Winter. The sound of cleats walking across the sidewalk onto the practice field. The sound of fast balls popping the catchers mitt. The sound of fungos being hit to the outfielders and infielders; don't forget all those grounders back to the pitcher and to first base flipping to the pitcher covering first for the 3-1 ground out. The sound of balls flying off bats during BP, just like the sound of Robert Redford hitting them in "The Natural". The smell of the rawhide of new baseballs, the smell of new fielder's glove, breaking it in with oil. Don't forget the smell of Ben Gay and Icy Hot being rubbed into tired and sore muscles from head to toe. The smell of the mowed infield and outfield (why is that a better smell than when you mow your own yard? because you don't have to do it!)And of course the best smell of them all, that of Hope and Optimism in the air of having a winning season!!

THE BETTER- If you haven't got a chance yet to read the excellent team article '6 Burning Questions', then you are in for quit a treat. Justin did a great job interviewing the managers and it makes me realize how much I enjoy being a member of the NASBL! From the friendship I have made with the others managers, some whom I consider good friends, and wouldn't hesitate to ask you for a favor or to loan me money (don't worry I won't) and I haven't even meet any of you guys!! I was lucky enough to be an original member of the NASBL when it started back in 1985. Now you know why I bring that up-- is because I like hearing/saying it! :) I want to Thank 'The Beard man' for doing a great job as the Commish. You have to be a people person being the Commish and sometimes you have to be a 'hardass' and sometimes you have to a 'babysister' and Steve has done a outstanding job on the Website. Again nice job dawg!

THE BEST- The '07 Draft starts Friday and 15 teams can't wait to find out who GCG will take with the #1 pick. Jack has told us his top 5 choices and after reading that, I still have no clues who it will be. Note to self, never play poker with Jack! Draft time is always fun, however I wish there was more information on picks. Some managers are superstitious about saying a player's name in fear they might be taken. Well we all know that's bunk!! I know that's bunk because that's what my Horoscope said. Besides when I Draft I make sure I always have my lucky Rabbits Foot inside my lucky Horseshoe!! So that being said--let the fun begin!

No comments: