Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Haymakers Trade Announcement



Troy: The Haymakers made a major trade today picking up pheonom pitcher Jered Weaver, slugger Matt Holliday and slick fielder Mark Ellis for Chase Utley, Carl Crawford, and Matt Capps. "We're trying to improve on our successful first season while building a strong foundation for the franchise," GM Ken Anderson said, "We really needed another arm in the rotation and although Weaver still has some growing up to do, he should fill in nicely as our 3rd starter."
Matt Holliday will fill in nicely replacing Utley's bat in the lineup, but there are some questions about his attitude. "I've heard his comments about the Iron Pigs new park, and I'm sure he's going to work hard here," manager Davey Johnson said, "I mean we have a big outfield here too." When Holliday was asked about what he said about the Pig Pen, "I'm sure I won't have anything to worry about. I mean I'll be roaming out there with Andrew Jones and Vernon Wells. I could practically sleep out there, they cover so much ground."
Weaver moves into a rotation already lead by Brad Penny and young Fausto Carmona. "We have a few young arms with good stuff, our plan is to build our rotation around Carmona and Weaver," the GM said, "And if Scott (Olsen) can keep hit attitude in line he should be able to turn it around" That's a lot of pressure for Weaver, who had some shoulder issues and wore down last year after a long season. Plus he is the brother of one of the biggest head cases in the game. "A lot has been said about me and my brother Jeff," Weaver said, "I'm here to work as hard as I can and bring this franchise a championship."
So overall, is the team better? We will have to wait to find out. Bring on the regular season!

No comments: