Monday, November 1, 2010

Young Reflects on His Years in New York

(New York Daily Mirror - November 1, 2010)

NEW YORK - With the turn of the calendar to November, the days here in New York City have grown appreciably crisper, the burning heat and stifling humidity of summer long since replaced by autumn. The leaves on the trees in Central Park, in changing from bright green to multiple shades of red, yellow and orange, lend the bustling city a dash of bright colors. Bits of excited conversations between pedestrians or subway riders can be heard by the casual observer as New Yorkers, alerted by the chill, start to think about Thanksgiving and Christmas. There is a feeling of conclusion in the air, the opposite of the renewal one feels every spring.

At Knights Field in Flushing Meadows, preparations are being made for the Knights' move to Slatington, Pennsylvania, where they will become the Bulldogs for the 2011 season and beyond. Yesterday, Knights third baseman and long-time captain, Michael Young, returned to New York for what will most likely be his final time as an NASBL player, to clean out his belongings, do some final packing and reminisce.

With all of the failures and frustrations the Knights gave their tortured fans in their 10-year history, you wouldn't think that there would be much worth reminiscing over. But Young is different; at age 34, he knows his career as an everyday player is starting to wind down and that his future in Slatington is hardly assured; rumors abound that he will be dealt this offseason in Matt Eddy's anticipated makeover of the franchise. But his place in New York baseball history, while perhaps devoid of championships or anything resembling glory, is assured. As long as people talk about the Knights, they will talk about the captain.

Young leaves New York holding many career and single-season franchise records. No one ever played more games as a Knight (1,074) or stepped up to the plate in a Knights uniform (4,345 at bats). He scored more runs (371), rapped out more hits (1,269) or legged out more doubles than Young (238). No one ever drove in more runs (520). His durability and steadiness enabled him to set records for at bats (664 - accomplished twice, in 2004 and 2006). His franchise mark of 232 hits, accomplished in 2006, ranks in the top seven all time in the NASBL and is among the best for infielders of only moderate foot speed. His .349 batting average and 50 doubles in 2006 will be long remembered, as will his .291 career batting average as a Knight.

Not bad for a small-town kid who came to New York seven years ago in a trade made by a GM who has long retired, from a team who moved from its city years ago, for a relief pitcher named Jason Isringhausen who long ago ceased to be relevant, much less important. Former Knights GM Mitch Pak always took pride in that trade, calling it "the one thing everyone can agree I did right".

"Not many people can say that they've made it in New York," said Young yesterday, his brown hair graying at the temples now. "I think I have. I didn't deliver any championships or anything, but I know that I tried my best. I left everything out there."

When asked about his future, Young was realistic. "I'm 34. Not many 34 year olds are starting third basemen anymore, except maybe A-Rod, and I'm no A-Rod. I don't expect Matt to hold me in the same esteem that Mitch did. I had my best seasons here. Matt is getting the older product with a lot more miles on the clock. He's going to do whatever he thinks he has to to get this franchise moving the right way. I hope I'm still with this club, whether we're in Slatington or anywhere else, when we start to win, but wherever I end up, I'm going to try my best."

When asked what he will miss the most about New York, he quipped, "the sports media. Nah, just kidding. I'm going to miss the fans. New York fans are the most passionate anywhere. They will not tolerate losers. They bring out the best in you. When you're going bad, or if they think you're not trying or you're dogging it, they'll kill you. And that attitude is reflected in the New York sports media. They play to their base, the fans. Its not an easy place to play, especially when you don't win. But when its over, like it is for me now, you realize how much it motivated you and how much you're going to miss it. No disrespect to Slatington, which I understand is a beautiful little town, but its going to be hard to match New York's energy, the craziness."

"I was never a big nightclub guy. I've never been to Scores or anything like that, but I always enjoyed the New York culture, the museums and the restaurants and the theaters. I'm going to miss that, and I'm going to miss playing for New York. Its something I will never be able to duplicate anywhere else and I will never forget it."

And New York will not soon forget him.

No comments: