Saturday, July 10, 2010

Strong Draft Puts Chows in Play-Off Mix

Illinois Times -- For the first time in franchise history the Chows are not sellers at the end of Block II. However due to over-aggressive post draft trading, Illinois is not in a position to buy either.

The Draft

The Chows draft has yielded remarkable results this season yielding 3 Cy Young and two ROY contenders. Couple that with the trade of their 2nd pick and Blanton for Helton and Illinois became an extremely solid team on draft day.

Key seasons acquired through draft and picks:

Brett Anderson 14-2, 1.97
Chris Carpenter 8-5, 2.97
Randy Wells 12-4, 3.11
Todd Helton .859 OPS
Johnny Gomes .954 OPS
Ryan Raburn .894 OPS
Peter Moylan 1.67 ERA

Add in O'Flahery, Counsell (acquired for a pick), and Duensing and Chows GM Brad Sherlag did a great job building this year's model.

Post Draft Day Trades

Time and Time again Sherlag has said, "the best time to trade is after Block II - I have more information to go on, what does my team need? Which players figure to be good next year". This season, Sherlag did not listen to his own advice.

"Yeah, hindsight is 20-20 and I should have waited like I always had in the past. It was just that the TGE is so powerful this season. The four best teams in the league are ALL in our division. The third best team will be staying home at play-off time. I thought if I filled my holes early it would help make the difference in Block I and Block II - I don't know maybe my thoughts were right, maybe not - but right now we are without a 1st and 2nd round pick next year and we haven't gotten a whole lot of production for it."

Carlos Zambrano - 4-7 5.09 ERA - Sherlag gave up a 1st and Shields
Angel Pagan - .613 OPS - Sherlag gave up a 2nd

FOO-KOO-DOH-MAY

Chows GM Brad Sherlag waffled back and forth on if Fukudome should be kept on cut-down day. "He was the last man kept, we were not happy about him being a starting OF for us. Worry about his performance prompted me to trade for Pagan. Boy were we wrong about Kosuke and he has really emerged as the starter now."

Kosuke Fukudome - .315 Avg, .934 OPS

Trading Frenzy

As the Block II trading frenzy begins, Illinois is unlikely to make any deals. "We would trade our 3rd round pick for the right guy, but he would really have to be a difference maker - maybe a corner OF with a lot of pop against RHP. However a real difference maker will go for more than just a 3rd. Maybe a change of scenery for Pagan could happen, but really I think our team is on the field."

"Yeah - I would undo both of those trades now. But I still think Zambrano and Pagan can live up to the level of play we expected when we went out and got them. There is a lot of ball left an both those guys will be key to our play-off run."

No comments: