Saturday, February 13, 2010

Maybe Wieters is Not the 1st Pick

It has been a forgone conclusion that Johnny will take Matt Wieters with the 1st overall pick of the Draft. I would, You would. We all would. Or would we?

What If I told you you could choose a CY Young Winner who had a banner year last year.

No Tommy Hanson did not win the Cy Young, yet.

There are a lot of quality players and pitchers available in the draft. You know it. I know it, We all know it.

Hey what do you think about Pabls Sandavol - Catcher CA-4(+1)e6t6p0 and he can be a #3 hitter - hits, gets on base, has power, speed (oh well 12 speed, but he can steal a base off someone's poor battery).

Andrew McCutcheon - CF - could be everything I hoped BJ Upton was.

Closer - Andrew Bailey - will this reliever get taken in the 1st round? Probably.

SP - well Hanson is the probable 2nd pick, make that the 3rd pick because I haven't told you who the ringer is.
Brett Anderson LHSP OAK - good season - great prospect
Trevor Cahill RHSP OAK - OK season - great prospect
Rick Porcello RHSP DET - better than OK season - probably a good season - isn't he a teenager still? great prospect
That is just the first 3 SP after Hanson that come to mind.
Joel Pineiro - great card/career year/ not a prospect - but has a future.

Johnny still is thinking Wieters - he has seen the light yet.

Well - I do not know if he is really available, but how could you resist Chris Carpenter. He is on the available list, so that means someone cut him in the last couple years when he was injured and only pitched 6 innings in 2007 and 15 innings in 2008. While I would have given something for this guy just to carry him on the roster. Fantastic card - arm is currently (note currently) in good shape - he can make a team an instant contender. I do not care if he will be 35 this season. Ryan pitched until he 86 and Clemens kept his arm going in his 70s (just a slight exaggeration). I would take Carpenter in a heartbeat, or sooner. Thing is I do not expect him to last until the 9th pick.

Johnny will probably take Wieters, and then the reigning NASBL Champions can pick whoever they want. I think if they would like to have Carpenter.

I will be fishing until 2/24 so that I do not have to worry about the draft. Actually - I will be at work or shoveling snow.

Is Chris Carpenter really available?

3 comments:

jawga said...

The Roadkill front office have stated that "signability" will not be a factor in who they select with the overall #1 pick.

"We understand that certain agents have a reputation that make negioations challenging at times but we expect to sign who we feel with have the best long-term success with The 'Kill.

Iron Pig Press said...

I would love to be the reigning champ, but I was not even close!

LCC said...

Yes, Mr Carpenter is indeed available. I went back and traced his availability lineage, and have the supporting documentation in hand of when he was a cut.