Wednesday, May 2, 2007

My 2 cents....NFL Draft vs. NASBL Draft

Last weekend the NFL Draft was held. I enjoy following the Draft as much as the next person, BUT the word overkill comes to mind. Espn does a great job but watching the same thing over and over again and listening to all these experts opinion does wear on you. I also listen to some of the Draft on the radio. When things got slow they took calls from the listeners. People would call in and give their views on the Draft and what they felt there team should have or could have done. One piece of information I heard (which I thought was very amusing) was a source from the Cowboys told him that it would be a "Cold day in Hell" before they would draft a kicker. Well what do you know in the 6th round the Cowboys drafted a kicker Nick Folk of Arizona. Low and behold listeners started calling in and asking why would Cowboys sources give out wrong information during the draft? That got me thinking about a more important draft than the NFL, which of course is our NASBL SOM Baseball draft. Trying to get correct info during the NASBL Draft is like trying to get blood out of a turnip! I know one manager who won't tell you who he's looking at or who may be involved in a trade because he doesn't want to "jinx it". Unfortunately I understand where he's coming from. When there are two picks before your draft pick and you say the player's name who you want out loud, then bam he will get taken. We all do it; it's human nature I guess, but that's what makes the Draft so much fun! Here's one for you this year a manager said before the Draft he wanted Stephen Drew, then bam he was taken number 1!! See the jinx works. Now I am sure the fact that there were several picks before his pick didn't have a thing to do with it!!

No comments: