Monday, January 14, 2013

WAR Rant Continued: or why it doesn't translate to Strat

1995 Dante Bitchette:  .340 batting average with a .984 OPS, 38 doubles 40 homeruns with 128 RBI's.  He hit .367 with RISP that year with 98 RBI's.  His total WAR? 1.0...you have got to be kidding me.  Even taking into account he is a horrible fielder and playing in Colorado, he hit .300 with a .804 OPS away from Coors.

I call bullshit.  There is no way you can find a replacement player that has remotely the same value this season, and I'm sure if he played a full season in Petco ( I don't have the 95 season), he would still have a ton of value in the league.

I still say OPS is the best way to compare players, but then again what do I know.  I don't get paid to do any analysis, and I sit in front of my computer and shake my fist at these fancy stats....

2 comments:

ojw said...

When I was young, we didn't have these fancy schmancy statistics like WAR and OPS. All we had was onions in our belts, which was the style at the time ...

Iron Pig Press said...

And we liked it!