Thursday, January 28, 2010

Q & A with Knights Captain Michael Young

(New York Daily Mirror - January 28, 2010)




NEW YORK – In the middle of the 2003 NASBL season, fledgling Knights GM Mitch Pak completed a trade with the Canyon Country Cannons, which was then under the leadership of the legendary (and now NASBL Hall of Famer) Brendan Conrad. In that deal, the Knights sent their closer, Jason Isringhausen, to the Cannons in exchange for a little-known 26 year old infielder named Michael Young. In a foreshadowing of trades to come, New York sports pundits ripped the deal, lambasting Pak for dealing away the reliable veteran Isringhausen, who had notched 23 saves for the 64-win Knights in 2002 and was having another solid year in 2003, for a relatively unknown rookie. And Young’s numbers with the Cannons were certainly anything but awe-inspiring: 50 games, 90 at bats, a .222 average and a .571 OPS. But Mitch Pak had Young scouted during the previous season and was told that Young had the tools to be a Derek Jeter-like player, someone who could cement the Knights infield for many years to come. Thinking that Young could do very well hitting ahead of then-team captain Jim Thome, Pak set out to acquire Young during the 2003 season and eventually made the deal that brought him to New York.

Fast forward to 2010. Isringhausen, now 37, missed the entire ’09 NASBL season recovering from Tommy John surgery after laboring for seven, mostly productive, seasons with the Cannons, the New Jersey Trash Heap and the Miami Surf. But his last season as a full-time closer was 2006, when he notched 21 saves for the Cannons, the last time he would reach double-figures in that category. Because of his age and the nature of his injury, Isringhausen’s career in the NASBL is likely over.

Things have worked out differently for Young, however. After the Knights terrible 12-28 start in 2004 that resulted in the trades of Thome, team ace Mike Mussina and slugging outfielder Preston Wilson, Young became the de facto leader of the ballclub. After a lackluster rookie half-season in 2003, during which he hit just .262 with a .671 OPS, Young had a breakout year for the Knights in ’04, batting .292 with 77 RBI and 91 runs scored for an offensively-challenged club. His 194 hits that season set a club record that stood until he broke it himself two years later. During the winter of 2005-2006, after having been moved to shortstop, Young was named team captain and he responded with one of the best seasons any NASBL infielder has ever had – a .349 average, 232 hits (fourth best in NASBL history), 29 homers, 121 RBI and an OPS of .978.

Today, Young is the senior member of the Knights, the face of the franchise and will begin his seventh full season with the club when hitters report to the team’s Port St. Lucie, Florida training camp late next month. He has been team captain for several years now and his quiet dignity and measured opinions are respected in both the clubhouse and in the front office. The team sells more #10 Knights jerseys than any other three players combined. He is at or near the top in most of the Knights’ career batting categories including games played (940),at bats (3,854), hits (1,124), runs scored (514), doubles (212), triples (24), extra base hits (315), runs batted in (462) – and strikeouts (657). His

career batting average stands at .290, despite two recent lackluster seasons. For a franchise and a fan base that is starving for consistency from its players, Young has been everything that the Knights hoped for since that 2003 trade.

The Mirror recently caught up with Young at his Abilene, Texas home where he resides with his wife and daughters when not laboring for the Knights.

DM: What was your initial reaction when you heard that you’d been traded to New York?

MY: I was a little scared at first. I’m basically a small-town guy from Texas and I’d heard that New York could eat you alive. I was pretty nervous that whole first year I was there. I also was very surprised that anyone would trade Jason Isringhausen for me.

DM: Did you feel a lot of pressure when you started out with the Knights?

MY: I did, I really did. The sportswriters and radio guys were unhappy with the Knights because they were coming off two losing seasons in ’01 and ’02 and didn’t like the idea of the closer being traded for some kid they’d never heard of. New York’s got a short fuse that way.

DM: Do you read the sports pages in New York? Or listen to sports talk radio?

MY: I only read the Mirror’s coverage (laughing). No, I try to stay away from all that stuff. I find that the majority of the people writing and talking sports have never played the games they report on. They don’t know what goes on behind the scenes, how hard we work.

DM: Some sportswriters in New York have compared you to Derek Jeter. How do you respond to that?

MY: The first time I heard that, I just went “wow”, you know? I know Derek personally and professionally. He is a gifted guy. I don’t know anyone who has his combination of focus and ability but he’s so modest and unassuming too. I’m flattered to be compared to him but I’m not him. There’s not much more to say about that. I’ll be the first to admit that.

DM: You’ve been in New York longer than anyone. Looking back over the past six-plus years, how would you assess the job Mitch Pak is doing as GM of this organization?

MY: He’s my boss, right? So I think he’s doing a great job (laughs). Seriously, Mitch and I have a great relationship. I’m very flattered by the faith he’s put in me all these years. I don’t think I really deserve it…

DM: But you won’t question him.

MY: Nah (laughs). No, Mitch has it tough. This is a tough league to build a winner in. We don’t have free agency so Mitch has to try to build a winner through the draft and through trades. We’ve never had a crack at getting the big guys, like Manny or A-Rod or Pujols and we probably never will. I know some of Mitch’s moves haven’t worked out but I can tell you this, he is always, always in there trying to improve this club.

DM: Do you think the NASBL should have free agency and a salary cap?

MY: I do, I really do. I think free agency would give the teams considered the “have nots” like us and Grundy County a real shot at contending. But I know that’s been raised before and the owners of the teams never go for it.

DM: What do you see as the Knights’ biggest problem over the past six years?

MY: Consistency. When Mitch gets a player in the draft or in a trade, he’s always hoping that the player he gets will be consistently good. Not great, not earth-shattering, just good. If its an outfielder, someone who will be a decent glove, can give you 600 at bats and maybe 30/90 every year. I know Mitch would sign up for that.

DM: But there hasn’t been consistency.

MY: No, no way. Look at the home runs. Since 2004, the year Thome was traded, there has been a different player leading the team in home runs. In 2004, Lopez had that monster season when he had 60. In ’05, it was Mats (Hideki Matsui). In ’06, it was me, which’ll tell you how hurting we were for homers that year. In ’07, it was Billy Hall, in ’08 it was Wig (Ty Wigginton) and then last year it was Xavier Nady. Not one of those guys, including me, was consistent enough to lead the team in homers more than once. And the same goes for the pitching. I know that Mitch has been real disappointed in the pitching.

DM: I supposed you’re referring to Barry Zito.

MY: Oh, boy (laughing). I feel awful for Barry. Everyone loved the trade when it was made but he told me a couple of times in the clubhouse that he was feeling a lot of pressure to do well here. You guys in the media thought he just lost his talent, but I’ve been around the game a long time and I know you never lose talent. Not like that. Barry was pressing. A lot. And it showed.

DM: Lets talk about 0-23 in 2008.

MY: Oh, God (laughs). That was a terrible year, not just for him but for all of us. And we had just come off a winning year where we finally contended for a wild card. People thought we had finally turned the corner as an organization and then, wham, the floor and ceiling fall in.


DM: Did Mitch ever regret that trade?

MY: I don’t think he did. I think he was privately stunned that Barry pitched as poorly as he did. You have to judge a trade in the context of when it was made. When Mitch got Barry, he had just come off three very good years and there was no reason to think he wouldn’t continue. You media guys didn’t help, always pointing out that Joe Nathan, whom I like, had become a huge superstar closer while Barry fell off a cliff in New York.

DM: Why did Mitch let Zito lose all those games in 2008? Why didn’t he bench him?

MY: There were a couple of reasons. First, he needed Barry’s innings. He didn’t have anyone on the roster who could take the ball every fifth day and potentially give him six, seven innings. Second, I think he wanted Barry to straighten himself out and you can’t do that by sitting on the bench. I don’t think Mitch intended to embarrass Barry. He didn’t know Barry would lose 23 games and not win one. No one would have believed that. I mean, that was Barry Zito, a guy who won 59 games in his first three seasons.

DM: Are you still in touch with Barry?

MY: Yes, kinda.

DM: Some think that you lost a step or two the last few years and that your stats show that. Do you think you’re heading for the downside of your career?

MY: Geez, I hope not (laughs). No, seriously, I can’t explain what’s happened the last few years. I was battling some injuries in ’09 and that kept my numbers down.

DM: Were you insulted when Mitch benched you for Block 4?

MY: No, not at all. I needed the rest and I wasn’t helping the team anyway.

DM: You’re going to be the third baseman in 2010 for the Knights.

MY: Yes.

DM: Do you feel you’re up to that task?

MY: I’m trying my best to adapt to that position. Third base is a lot harder than it looks. A lot of the best sluggers in the game are right handed, like you’re A-Rods and Ramirezes and when they pull the ball toward third, wow, its like a blur. I’ve been practicing with Howard (Johnson, the Knights’ infield coach) a lot and I’ve made progress. I’m not going to be great, but I’m going to give 100%.

DM: Garrett Atkins was just cut by the Knights. How do you feel about that?


MY: Pretty disappointed. I know when Mitch drafted Garrett a few years back, he hoped that Garrett would be our Scott Rolen, that he’d be with us for years. Garrett had some real good years for us, but with me moving to third and Jorge (Cantu) backing me and LaRoche up, Mitch felt that Garrett had no place on the team, so he let him go. He’s going to be a real good player for someone.

DM: What’s your feeling about the Knights in 2010, as the club enters its 10th season in the league?

MY: I’ve got a pretty good feeling about this club. I think we can build on last year. We have a good looking young lefty at the top of the rotation in Lester, we have a solid righty in the two slot in Matt Cain, who I think is going to rebound to his old form. Then we have Gavin Floyd, some good middle relievers and I think Chad Qualls is going to be a good closer.

DM: And now you have Vlad.

MY: Yeah, Vlad is going to help us. I’m not sure he’s going to be the big slugger he was in Georgia but with Mitch’s platoon system, he doesn’t have to be. If he gives us what he gave us last year, 15 homers, a .314 average in half a season, we’ll be OK.

DM: Just a few more questions. In your time with the Knights, who’s been the most colorful player you’ve seen?

MY: Oh, no question, David Wells (laughs). Boomer was larger than life and if you’d seen him with his shirt off, that’s pretty large. He’s one of a kind. Loves Babe Ruth and acts like him too.

DM: Anyone else.

MY: Javy Lopez was funny too. Dontrelle (Willis) was a real smooth character, a great dresser.

DM: It’s a shame what happened to him.

MY: It sure is. He has a world of talent. I’m hoping he’ll overcome whatever’s bothering him and come back to the league soon.

DM: If you had to put together a list of “great Knights”, who’d be on it?

MY: Oh, wow. Um, Jim Thome would be there, for sure. He was fearsome up there. I wished Mitch hadn’t traded him when he did, but we weren’t winning with him. What a bull he was. Ellis Burks was a class act, but he was at the end of his career when I got to New York. Oh, obviously Moose (Mike Mussina) and I think Grady Sizemore will be on that list too someday.

DM: And what about you?

MY: If you say so (laughs).

DM: Thanks for a few minutes Mike and have a great season.

MY: Thanks. Tell the fans I’ll in there trying and to keep the faith.

No comments: