Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Micah Owings -- "I was snubbed by the NWAA"


Illinois Times --


Dice K is this reporters front runner for the TG ROY but when I was pouring over my Nasbl Writers Association of America ballot yesterday, I noticed a curious omission from the hometown Chows. Micah Owings was listed on the Cy Young ballot but was not available for consideration for the ROY award. Dustin McGowan on the other hand merited ROY consideration but was not on the Cy Young ballot.


I called Micah and asked his opinion on the matter "Well I am very honored to be considered for the CY Young award but to me the ROY would have been more realistic. Sure Dice K will probably win the award - and he deserved to - but the NWAA needs to take more care in their selection process. Many players have incentive awards based on winning or finishing in the top 5 for postseason awards. These type of errors cost us money. The baseball writers association of America is not much better. I am friends with Edison Volquez and he told me he received three votes in their ROY balloting and he wasn't even a rookie."


"All I can say is if you were going to vote for me, vote for Tulo. His defense at SS was instrumental in me accumulating the wins I did. He also had a knack for hitting timely home runs all season."


I spoke with Owings for a while and the conversation later turned to his future with the Chows.


"I don't know what more I can do to show I belong." Owings last year was 14-6 with an ERA of 4.24. "My agent told me the Chows may go in another direction. I guess I am on the trading block. I just want a fair contract after the numbers I put up last year. I know I belong in this league and if the Chows don't want me somebody else will."

No comments: